Skip to main content

Christmas decorations put away!

Talk about a 'clean slate'! I love my Christmas decor, but it always feels good to pack everything away again once the season is over. I (kind of) timed myself today as I placed items in their respective boxes. From the first ornament off the tree to packing and closing up the plastic bin, it took about an hour and a half. I mentioned before that we don't have a lot of Christmas stuff, and it makes me happy that everything (with the exception of outdoor lights) fits in one box. 

The South Indian harvest festival Pongal is happening over the next few days, so for now I have changed the decor to feature Indian textiles. Then, it will be time to decorate for Valentine's Day 💖

How does it feel for you when you put away Christmas/holiday decor? Sad? Wistful? Relieved? If you've found a way to streamline the process, please share in the comments! 

Decor featuring Indian textiles


Some new Christmas items I bought a couple days ago. The box is full now, so next year it will be one in, one out! 

All our Christmas decor fits in this single bin! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I need a decluttering station

Right now I'm focusing on a new challenge : to get the garage cleaned out and sell some stuff on marketplace. Last year my dad came to visit and brought a beautiful 'new' table, one that my family had used as a dinner table when I was a teenager. Made by Mennonite craftsmen, the ingenuity of the pull-apart mechanism and the hidden leaves is exquisite. My dad had painstakingly refinished the four chairs, so the set is also a reminder of his handiwork. Although we loved our square breakfast nook table, now we can actually welcome more dinner and anytime guests.  So what to do with the old table? I thought about selling it, decided to keep it for one main reason: The sticky issue of cleaning out the garage. As I mentioned in the new challenge post , I would like to clear out the half of the garage occupied by boxes, totes, and other items so that both vehicles can fit inside (and we can get rid of stuff we have now dragged through two moves!).  The dilemma was being able to ta...

Not the beginning

I could start at the very beginning, but I won't, at least for now. The truth is, I've already come a long way. But now I want to go a little further. A lot further. Moving on from always feeling I am just on the cusp of something to diving in, with full immersion.  That's where I am right now. And right now is important, because it is everything. I have decided that the way to make more progress with every current (and future) challenge is by engaging keen awareness. With mindfulness as my compass, I can accomplish anything and move towards lightness in my life. Will I falter and mess up sometimes? Yes, I will. I know that. But that is also where mindfulness and the present moment come in. I do not have to be afraid of the future, and I do not have to be affected by my past. I can decide not only to change, but to take action, in this (and every) moment.  This possibility present within each passing moment is in itself an amazing opportunity, and it is my privilege to shar...

I tried Marie Kondo's daily purse emptying habit: Here's what I learned

In her groundbreaking book " The life-changing magic of tidying up " Marie Kondo poses some unusual, perhaps even outlandish, questions and ideas. In a discussion that meandered into describing inanimate objects as if they had feelings and aspirations, one such proposal is emptying one's purse at the end of each day.  Um, say what now?  I was incredulous. When I already have so much to do, how exactly is doing this supposed to help me? As Marie went on about how the purse was tired from a long day of carrying a full load of heavy objects, my skepticism deepened. So .... I should take the time to empty my purse each day because it ... has feelings ? Riiiiiiiight. But then I thought about it a little more. I thought about my purse. Although usually not overly full, it could be kind of a problem. Stuff gets lost in there. If you carry a purse or any kind of bag, I know that you know exactly what I mean. Loose change? Mints? Grocery lists? An old Cliff bar? A full-sized wate...