Skip to main content

More to life than decluttering

Yes, even for a seasoned declutterer like me. This might seem strange, but I have decluttered regularly since I was a child. When I felt too overwhelmed by the toys in my room, I would ask my mom to take me to the thrift store a few towns away and donate a bagful or two. As a teenager, I kept my room neat and carefully curated with only my favorite items on display. I remember both strategies creating a big sense of accomplishment and relief. 

But in 2019 I began decluttering in earnest. With the three of us living in small space amidst an explosion of baby items, clothes, and toys, I knew something had to change. I was grateful for the things my daughter needed and enjoyed, but the rest of the stuff weighed on me. A lot. 

Fast forward to summer 2022. It was time for our big move to NC, and I decluttered like I never had before. Still, as I wrote in a previous post, everything felt like too much ... and that I had not done enough. 

2022 was a year of intense upheaval, much of it painful. During this time I also became hyper-focused on decluttering and organizing. Instead of acquiring things as I had in the past, I was trying to let as much as I could go. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with this, especially since we were in the midst of preparing for, then recovering from, our move. Until my daughter let me know that everything was not okay. Although she did not express it in words, her change in behavior spoke volumes. Usually cheerful and helpful, she began acting out. I quickly realized that although dealing with excess items was important to me, she didn't need a home where everything is 'just so'. She needed me

So, I took a step back from decluttering. I decided that while she was at home I didn't need to be amongst the boxes stacked in the garage or sorting through piles of papers, but with her. Since then I have made a commitment to spend time together, really together, with minimal distractions. After picking her up from school, we make crafts, read stories, take walks, bake, or just play. And it has been amazing. 

Looking back, I know why I kept decluttering. It was for me to try to reclaim a tiny bit of control in the aftermath of a chaotic and emotionally draining year. It was to help me process heavy emotions, to deal with my grief. For my own sake, it was necessary. But I also realized that my (often temporary) relief needn't come at the expense of my family's wellbeing. 

I believe this story presents an interesting irony. Overconsumption and mindlessly acquiring material possessions inevitably leads to problems. However, so can compulsive decluttering. Although seemingly polar opposites, both extremes reveal a distinct commonality: An unhealthy obsession with stuff. 

Whether it is loading our virtual cart or loading the car with donations, this is not where life happens, where it truly resides. It is only when we let go of our grasp of stuff, that we can be freed from its grasp on us. And that is what makes room for all the beautiful things in life. 

Have you found yourself compulsively 'over-decluttering'? What was the reason and how did you resolve the issue? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unboxing Discoveries: Glamour Shots

Lately my general response when I open boxes that have been packed away for years is, "Oh my gosh ... I had completely forgotten about this!/I still have this?!/I thought I donated this?!" Which, based on my reaction, likely means that the item/s were not so valuable (if not completely vexing) to me. Despite the feelings of overwhelm they incite, it also means that sorting through it all is probably a good thing.     Yet, there are those relatively rare moments when a long-lost item does, as Marie Kondo would put it, "spark joy". Over a decade ago, I visited an antique store in Zionsville, IN, with my sister, nephew, and my parents. There I found a whole trunk full of black and white celebrity photos , probably from old magazines, that some meticulous soul had taken the trouble to laminate. Since many of the images were gorgeous and so reasonably priced, I (a broke graduate student at the time) couldn't resist. I was most attracted to photos of glamorous actress

What have I done?!

Since starting my decluttering journey in 2019 I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff. As I decluttered I saw progress, because stuff was no longer under foot or falling out of cupboards on my head. Our 1,125 sq. ft. townhome seemed like it was no longer overrun with stuff. It felt pretty peaceful, actually.  Then there were the closets. Two of them, full of stuff, lurking. One contained mostly seasonal decorations, but also stored our off-season tires. Yes, TIRES. I had sealed them in the largest bags available so they didn't smell, but they took up precious space. I was so glad when, before our move, we posted them for free on Marketplace and a nice gentleman with an eastern European accent came by and somehow loaded them all into his Prius.  Then there was the other closet. About a year before our move to NC, I was about to began another iteration of Uncluttered (Joshua Becker's room by room decluttering course). My goal was to declutter that closet, which contained ... jus

Full days, unfulfilled life

Sometimes I'm admittedly unproductive. Sometimes I need rest, or perhaps a little distraction. Sometimes I need fun, humor, and silliness. I believe it is important to acknowledge -and occasionally indulge in- these things.   But that's sometimes. Most of the time, I am what others might call 'productive'. I make a to-do list and check items off as I complete them. Unless my plans are somehow derailed, most tasks are done at the end of the day. But even with derailment, I still complete other, more urgent tasks.  So why does it feel like it's never enough?  Because, considering everything I do each day, it is, or at least should be. Waking up early to pack lunch for our daughter, driving her to and from school, looking after and playing with her, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, cooking dinner, cleaning up, errands ... Not to mention filling out arduous, time-consuming job applications, drafting professional emails that need to be, in my perfectionist mind, '