Skip to main content

I tried Marie Kondo's daily purse emptying habit: Here's what I learned

In her groundbreaking book "The life-changing magic of tidying up" Marie Kondo poses some unusual, perhaps even outlandish, questions and ideas. In a discussion that meandered into describing inanimate objects as if they had feelings and aspirations, one such proposal is emptying one's purse at the end of each day. 

Um, say what now? 

I was incredulous. When I already have so much to do, how exactly is doing this supposed to help me? As Marie went on about how the purse was tired from a long day of carrying a full load of heavy objects, my skepticism deepened. So .... I should take the time to empty my purse each day because it ... has feelings?

Riiiiiiiight.

But then I thought about it a little more. I thought about my purse. Although usually not overly full, it could be kind of a problem. Stuff gets lost in there. If you carry a purse or any kind of bag, I know that you know exactly what I mean. Loose change? Mints? Grocery lists? An old Cliff bar? A full-sized water bottle? It can get dicey.

I remembered that every few weeks I inevitably have to dump the contents of my purse into a chaotic pile on the living room floor, irritated with myself for making such a mess of it. What if it didn't have to be this way? What if I always knew what was in my purse and it wasn't so damn heavy all the time? 

What if carried only what I needed?

Since this last question is really what I'm aspiring to in my life, I decided to proceed with Marie Kondo's suggestion. After all, I thought, it is so 'crazy' it just might work. 

What I did: 

After emptying my purse the first night, it looked kind of sad and floppy. So in lieu of using a mass of tissue paper (a big no-no according to Marie Kondo) I placed a small knitted cushion inside. The purse then sat otherwise empty on the closet shelf looking a bit ... "happier". 

Anthropomorphizing aside, I then placed my wallet, pocket book, keys, and change purse on a small porcelain tray. I placed various miscellany in a small pink vintage planter, then lipstick and other cosmetics on a blue glass plate. I had to admit the items looked quite pretty, like everything was able to 'breathe'. I was also delighted that these objects could be so prominently displayed; up until now they had been appreciated, but stowed away in a cupboard.   

What I learned: 

It really doesn't take nearly as much time as I thought it would. It takes about a minute to place the purse on the shelf, remove the items, discard trash, put them in their 'beds', and place the pillow in the purse.

Keep a wastebasket nearby. Wherever you put your bag at the end of the day, all the yuckies like gum wrappers, receipts, and grocery lists that accumulate can be easily discarded.  

If my purse is clear, it's easy to change it! Before I started doing this, my purse was used for a long time before I changed it out. By then it was usually because it had gotten into such a jumbled mess I had to dump it out and start fresh. With this method, every day is a fresh start.   

I am more intentional about what I put in my bag. As I place each item in my purse, I think about what I will be doing that day and add (or don't add) accordingly.  

And probably the best discovery of all: My purse is so. much. lighter! Since a lighter life in general is what I'm aiming for, why should this not apply to my handbag? As I picked up the bag to go out, I was amazed at the lack of heft. Perhaps this might help alleviate some of my shoulder pain. :)    

Concerns:

What if I forget something? Unless I leave my wallet (which is hard to miss) home, I will be okay. 

What if I don't remember an errand/event and leave a necessary item home? This could definitely happen. Since I have already experienced this in the past, I do have a small bag in my vehicle with necessary items and things that would be needed for specific errands (a tape measure, zip lock bags, sunscreen, bug spray, etc.). So, 

Conclusion:

Although skeptical at first, I would count myself a believer in this daily habit. For anyone else thinking about doing this, consider your needs and daily life. Do you carry items in your purse for others, such as a baby or small child? Are some items non-negotiable, so would you rather keep them in your purse at all times? Do what works best for you. 

The last thing is that this method takes shelf/table/desk space, depending upon where you decide to place your bag in the evening. Since I have decluttered my space considerably, finding this space was quite easy for me. However, if you haven't decluttered yet don't worry. If you chose to do it, you certainly can, and who knows, clearing this one space for this specific purpose may 1) keep this one space clear and 2) inspire the clearing of other flat surfaces!  

Have you tried this daily habit? What did you think? Please share in the comments! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unboxing Discoveries: Glamour Shots

Lately my general response when I open boxes that have been packed away for years is, "Oh my gosh ... I had completely forgotten about this!/I still have this?!/I thought I donated this?!" Which, based on my reaction, likely means that the item/s were not so valuable (if not completely vexing) to me. Despite the feelings of overwhelm they incite, it also means that sorting through it all is probably a good thing.     Yet, there are those relatively rare moments when a long-lost item does, as Marie Kondo would put it, "spark joy". Over a decade ago, I visited an antique store in Zionsville, IN, with my sister, nephew, and my parents. There I found a whole trunk full of black and white celebrity photos , probably from old magazines, that some meticulous soul had taken the trouble to laminate. Since many of the images were gorgeous and so reasonably priced, I (a broke graduate student at the time) couldn't resist. I was most attracted to photos of glamorous actress

What have I done?!

Since starting my decluttering journey in 2019 I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff. As I decluttered I saw progress, because stuff was no longer under foot or falling out of cupboards on my head. Our 1,125 sq. ft. townhome seemed like it was no longer overrun with stuff. It felt pretty peaceful, actually.  Then there were the closets. Two of them, full of stuff, lurking. One contained mostly seasonal decorations, but also stored our off-season tires. Yes, TIRES. I had sealed them in the largest bags available so they didn't smell, but they took up precious space. I was so glad when, before our move, we posted them for free on Marketplace and a nice gentleman with an eastern European accent came by and somehow loaded them all into his Prius.  Then there was the other closet. About a year before our move to NC, I was about to began another iteration of Uncluttered (Joshua Becker's room by room decluttering course). My goal was to declutter that closet, which contained ... jus

Full days, unfulfilled life

Sometimes I'm admittedly unproductive. Sometimes I need rest, or perhaps a little distraction. Sometimes I need fun, humor, and silliness. I believe it is important to acknowledge -and occasionally indulge in- these things.   But that's sometimes. Most of the time, I am what others might call 'productive'. I make a to-do list and check items off as I complete them. Unless my plans are somehow derailed, most tasks are done at the end of the day. But even with derailment, I still complete other, more urgent tasks.  So why does it feel like it's never enough?  Because, considering everything I do each day, it is, or at least should be. Waking up early to pack lunch for our daughter, driving her to and from school, looking after and playing with her, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, cooking dinner, cleaning up, errands ... Not to mention filling out arduous, time-consuming job applications, drafting professional emails that need to be, in my perfectionist mind, '